Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Good Bye Von Bergens!

The kids in the snow (Really...slush...).

My favorite "Flying Dolby" trick

John and Charlie with the kids

Seriously?!? How cute can a kid get! (This is Zane).

Last Wednesday (Feb 10), we went to hang out with Polly and Charlie one last time. It was the day of the big snowstorm, school was closed, and our kids were bouncing off the walls looking for something to do. Polly had invited us down to the Residence Inn for some swimming and I was looking forward to it. OK, so, I was excited about all of it...except for the part about having to wear a swimsuit!

Zane and Zachary spent part of the day with us while Polly and Charlie packed up the house and I hated to have to take them to the hotel. In our year here, we have fallen completely in love with both of these boys and it was hard to look at them and realize that they were moving away from us. Zachary, while outwardly confident and sure of himself, has a soft side that allows me to steal hugs whenever I ask for them. He'll run screaming through the house full of energy and then suddenly stop, ask me a tough question about life, and run back out with the boys. Zane is a kid that you can't help but love because he's so dang cute. He'll run through the house yelling "Me. Rex!" with his little chest puffed up, but suddenly he'll stop and have what I call "kid moment" whenever he needs a drink or snack from me. It's a quick moment, but he'll let me love on him and he'll act like a sweet baby for just a minute before heading out to conquer the galaxy and whip the older brothers into shape.

After a day at our house that included screaming, fighting, friendship and total torture between the kids, we headed to the hotel. The roads were terrible, the almighty Suburban had a close encounter with a snowplow, and we decided when we got there that getting "snowed in" wasn't a bad idea at all. The Dolbys got a room across the hall from the VonBergens and we all hit the pool! The Dads threw the kids into the air, Annalise spent the evening looking cute in her pink swimsuit, and the adults hung out in the hot tub like nothing was different than usual. I was comforted by the casual way it all went down because it made me realize that while geography sometimes gets in the way of convenience...once you have a friend it doesn't really matter.

The next morning, Polly admits to "stalking us" (try 4 messages and a CD under our door) but I admit to sleeping in because it seemed better than facing the day. I was very sad to see this family head out but I knew I had to keep a brave face because leaving was the best thing for them. To want them to stay would have been selfish - tempting - but very childish and counterproductive. They are good friends and I'm thankful to have enjoyed their friendship for a year, but it was time for them to take the next step. While it was hard to know that I was being left, I had to remember how much I love Portsmouth and be thankful for the opportunity I have to spend a little bit more time here. After some quick hugs, the boys went to school and the adults went about their lives. Charlie and Polly packed up the rest of their house and I went to work.

At the end of the day, it was all kind of a non-event. I have learned that anticipation is much harder than the event. They are gone and life is still just as good for us here in Portsmouth. I still have a friend. I'm anxious to hang out again in person...maybe they'll finally get around to meeting us in the Caribbean for a "real" vacation since they DID promise one late night after a few drinks at Newport Blues!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment