Wednesday, February 24, 2010

The "How To" Story

Justin's class is working on writing a "How To" this week and I was in his classroom yesterday helping with the two kids I often work with. The task is to write a "How To" story using several steps that are connected by words like "First", "Next", and "Finally" with the objective being to help them understand steps and order. Justin wrote "How To Make a Pizza" and I laughed when he read it because Mrs. Dufour thought he had made a mistake when he explained that you have to put it in the oven twice. Nope! He meant to do it. "My Dad says to do it twice. First you have to get the crust nice and brown then you have to melt the cheese." Oh brother!

I was working with one of the kids who wanted to write "How To Make a Cheeseburger." He did wonderfully with the first few steps, using words and pictures to explain the ingredients and directions for putting the burger on the grill while properly melting the cheese. He got stumped on the last step (which is "Finally, we eat!") and he asked me, "Do you think I should draw my Dad in the picture?" (His Dad is in the National Guard and he's currently in Cuba).

The conversation went like this:

Me: "Well, that's a tough one. Is your Dad a part of your family?"
Him: "Yes, but he's in Cuba for a long time and we have to eat without him."
Me: "Do you think your Dad misses eating hamburgers with you?"
Him: "I'm not sure. He probably eats them in Cuba"
Me: "Does he have a seat at your table?"
Him: "Yes."
Me: "Do you like it when he's home to eat burgers with you?"
Him: "Yes."
Me: "Do you want to put him in your picture?"
Him: "Yes. And guess what! We're going to see him..." (a long and involved story follows about the vacation they are planning to take to Cuba)

He drew his whole family sitting at the table eating hamburgers and I feel very good about the exchange. I believe, as you know, that we are given opportunities in life for a reason and this was mine. I hope that I was able to use the knowledge and life experience I have to help a military child understand his part of the whole operation and give him peace that, while it's sometimes confusing, your Dad is still your Dad.

2 comments:

  1. Great Job Lisa! That sounds exactly like the kind of things that second graders would need help understanding. Glad you were there for that discussion!

    By the way, we do this exact same writing in my 2nd grade classroom, and I have learned many new ways to make a variety of foods! Baking the pizza twice doesn't sound as strange as some of the things I've heard!

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Needless to say, this is one of the many reasons why Justin, Annalise, and I are so lucky to have you. You get it in a way that many military spouses just don't. I'm sure that you made Caleb's day and helped that little boy process something he couldn't figure out on his own.

    Love you, John

    ReplyDelete