Sunday, December 13, 2009

Independence Hall

Explanation: This is the three of us working on our Monkey Walk.

Since we were in Philadelphia, we did some sightseeing on our way out of town on Sunday. We chose to go to Independence Hall and see the Liberty Bell. As usual when I travel with the kids, I had a hard time listening to the tour guide because I was "refereeing" the entire time, but I did feel the power of being in Independence Hall where the Declaration of Independence, as well as the Constitution, was signed. I reflected on the fact that we too live in a time of war as well as challenging economic times, and I was intrigued by the stories of how our Founding Fathers debated and disagreed to the point of losing their families as they established our country. I can appreciate how they fought for what they believed in rather than what they had any reason to know what would be right. We are always evolving and I can only imagine the fear they must have felt as they took such a bold stance for our freedom.

As for our family, we had a rough day due to two exhausted children and the downpour we endured. However, even with these circumstances, we found a great way to spend the day together. My favorite story was that Justin had as much fun taking photos with my new camera as I did. He seems to enjoy working with composition and he really likes clicking the button and seeing his work. He asked for a camera (like mine) and I let him know that it would probably be a while but that I was very impressed by his patience and diligence in learning about the camera and the science of photography.

To top off our great day, we stopped by for a Philly Cheese Steak sandwich on our way out! I didn't know how to order so I just delegated that job to John...I'm not sure what I had but it sure tasted great!

No comments:

Post a Comment