Thursday, June 17, 2010

Wings or Roots

I can promise you that a year and a half ago, I had my doubts! I remember packing the ski jackets and ice scrapers in the car while sweating in the sunshine of our San Diego driveway. It only got worse when we picked the kids up from KinderCare and watched them say “Good Bye” to the teachers who had held them from the time they were babies! I was a crying mess and I wondered at the time what kind of parents could take their kids away from so much love, stability, and happiness.

Fortunately, I was quickly comforted by the life we found when we arrived in Portsmouth. We were greeted with friends from the moment we set foot in the snow and we learned about life in a way we had never considered before. Justin still played football and Annalise was already dancing the first Saturday morning we were here, but more importantly, we quickly learned so many new East Coast things. Justin learned how to collect a full meal off the beach with nothing but a pail and Annalise has conquered the game of “Popcorn” on the trampoline. We know how and when to use “wicked” and I have finally mastered the finer points of the “Fritalian Shabby Katique” decorating style (otherwise known as “Cottage”). John’s got another Master’s Degree, I am freshly retired, and our furniture collection has grown substantially over the past couple of weeks. We have seen Boston, New York, Washington DC, Baltimore, Philadelphia, Michigan, Virginia, Florida, Bermuda, the Bahamas, Newport Yachts in the summer, the South Boston St. Patrick’s Day Parade, Cape Cod, Martha’s Vineyard, and we’ve collected stories from each place that amaze me every time I look back.

I find today that I am again faced with the same challenge that I felt a year and a half ago. How do I successfully take these kids away from such a wonderful place?

The answer came to me last night as I was “sleeping” in my bed, surrounded by boxes, and shielding myself from knees and elbows being thrown by the lovely children sleeping peacefully on either side of me. (It was easier to sleep in the middle, believe it or not, because it at least eliminated the high pitched, “he/she won’t give me any roooommmm!!!!!” drama that suddenly comes out of nowhere each time I start to drift off).

Our family has wings.

As you go through life, you can choose to have wings or roots, but you cannot have both. With roots, you get to grow up in one place where you know everyone and everything. It is a wonderful and comfortable way to live. It’s how I grew up. With wings, you grow up with experiences from all over the place and you learn about the different cultures in the world you are living in. It’s an adventurous and, from time to time, a somewhat scary way to live. It’s a way of life that comes with “Good Bye” but is always tempered with a warm “Hello” when you arrive at the next place. Our family has wings.

The truck arrives today and our boxes will be loaded up. They’ll head to California and they will (hopefully) be waiting for us when we arrive. I’ll try to hold it together as we drive out of Portsmouth but I know I’ll cry. I also know that when I see the first green road sign saying that we are in San Diego (still 60 miles from our house), I’ll probably be flying with excitement and I’ll have a hard time respecting the speed limit signs asking me to drive my family safely the rest of the way to Chula Vista.

To my kids: Wings are good! Wings show you the world and help you better understand the choices you will someday make when we do not make them for you. I never would have known life as I do today had I not decided to choose “wings” and drive my car to San Diego to give it a try. It was there that I met your Dad, got married, bought a house, and was blessed with two beautiful children! Saying goodbye is hard, but never knowing the things you are saying goodbye to would undoubtedly be worse. I love you both my brave little boy and girl and I thank you very much for living the adventure with us!!!!

3 comments:

  1. Lisa,

    What can I say other than that this is an AMAZING post, fantastically written and thought provoking!

    Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goodbye Lisa and Justin. I have enjoyed having you in my class, both of you! Justin's last written narrative in class shows he may follow in your footsteps Lisa. Safe trip, and keep in touch. I will always remember you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liser -
    I can't agree with John more. You brought tears to my eyes - not only for what you're currently experiencing, but remembering all those times when we had "wings" when we were younger. Sydney, San Diego, East Coast and everything in between...I can only hope that our kids get to experience what we have in our lives thus far. I love you my friend! See you in SD!

    ReplyDelete