Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Coach Lisa



Soccer Season has come and gone. I've turned in my clipboard and I most certainly miss my Pixies! The season was a challenge for me, but then again, I guess that you never fully realize at the time that you have been given a gift while in the midst of something difficult.

Coaching for me was a challenge that I knowingly accepted. I knew it would be hard but I hoped that it would be rewarding. I volunteered at about the time we arrived here in San Diego, when I thought Justin would not play football for the season, and when I was looking for an activity to help me ease into deployment life. The season for me was spent learning how to manage my time, the expectations of parents, the tender hearts of little girls, learning a sport I had never played, and finding the courage to stand strong against veteran coaches. It's tough out there trying to do your best and knowing that there are 30 sets of eyes staring you down and always assuming that they could do better!

My team was made of 5 amazing girls. Jessie was my competitive spirit who did not like to give up the chance, at any time, to score a goal. Whenever she was out on the field, I could relax knowing that we would score sometime within the next few seconds. Marissa was my little lady who amazed me with her smile, charm, and SKILLS! She could "trap and turn" better than any other 4 year old I saw out there. Lily was a gift to my team because she was a constant. She never complained and she never asked "why" ... she just attacked the ball, did her best, and kept her team strong. I know that she will change the world someday with the competive compassion that I saw in her every time she played. Keila touched my heart more than I ever could have imagined. She started the season telling me that she didn't want to play soccer. She wasn't interested in being on the field very much when we played our first couple of games, but somewhere along the line she most certainly got the bug! Her biggest concern by the end was that she didn't get to play all four quarters of the game. From then on, she spent her time on the field listening to whatever I had to say and trying anything I asked her to. This change of heart was my biggest reward of the season and I will never forget having had the opportunity to introduce her to what may become a lifelong activity. Finally, there was my sweet little "Angelface!" (Rest assured that "Sassypants" was also on the team a fair amount of the time). Honestly, Annalise was a dream to have as the Coach's Kid. She took the backseat to her teammates whenever I needed her to and she realized that she set the tone for everyone else. She tried hard to show up with a positive attitude and she did not complain when someone else had my attention. I loved having her by my side to support me in this very challenging role. As a soccer player, she sure is fast!!! She spent most of her time either defending the goal or sprinting down the field with the rest of the girls several steps behind her. She's going to be an amazing athlete when she grows up!

Yes, it was hard, but this experience was a gift in many ways. I learned about being a role model to 5 year old girls, about the importance of imagination, about accepting the facts when you need help, and most certainly about the importance of trying my hardest even when it seems like I just can't do it! Guess what? I can.

1 comment:

  1. Lis,

    The girls were lucky to have you as a coach! The best thing you can do for a child at that age is show them that practicing and competition can be fun. You did a great job of that and you have 5 girls who will likely want to play soccer for a long time to come.

    Love,
    John

    ReplyDelete